Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New adventure

Perhaps I should've written this post yesterday, but yesterday was a little hectic.

Jason and I have embarked on a P90X adventure. Nutrition plan, discs, workout space upstairs, everything.

We have talked here and there about how to cope with the physical consequences of our love for wine and food. Ta-daaaaaa enter P90X.

Monday, 5/7/12, was our official Day 1. Sadly, it was also the day of our Fit Test, measurements, and Before pictures. I hated yesterday with a burning passion, and dreaded it ALL DAY.

All pre-workout activities complete, we did some prep for dinner since it was getting a little late. We made up the honey-chile sauce from a recipe in the P90X nutrition guide - holy amazing! Sprinkled some seasoning on chicken boobies, popped 'em in the oven, cooked up some quinoa to the point where we could turn the heat off, and upstairs we went for DAY ONE EXERCISE.

I'll state here, and perhaps restate later, that we are on the "lean" path. More cardio, less focus on strength and power. This was 100% my doing, Jason decided to go along with it. I am hoping this will help to shed some of the excess jiggly-bits, along with the tagline of building lean muscle mass. Let's face it, I am a girl, and I don't want to be all big and bulky. I just want to be alright-looking in a swim suit when I jump into the lake or pool!

So, Day One. Core Synergetics. Due to the scheduling SNAFU, we started the disc pretty late. As a compromise, we agreed to turn it off at 9:45, wherever we were, so we would have time to recover, have dinner, and shower before hitting the hay. We made it about halfway through the workout, holy smokes. I have a better idea now of things to come, and honestly I am more excited about today's workout than yesterday's. Largely due to the fact that no one will be poking at my fat today, haha.

Couple of issues thus far ... timing sucks. Our schedules aren't really compatible with a morning workout at this point. So we are set to workout around 7pm every night. Two, I'm still dealing with issues from a forearm/wrist fracture last summer, which disallows me from doing standard push-ups with my palms on the ground. The chin-up bar we have flips down to be a nice push-up support for me, as long as I keep my elbows in - yoga style!! Those who know yoga push-ups (chaturanga) will empathize. My other modification is to do pushups on my fist. Yes, really. It's a little more forgiving since we are working out at home, so I've got a yoga mat on top of carpet - my knuckles aren't biting into a hard gym floor. Third, I'm uncertain if shoes will continue to be in my future for workouts. They seem to be beneficial for some moves (haha, in the half-video we've been through so far), and not so much in others. I think I'll keep with them until Yoga, and see how it goes.

More to come... :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment